Ooh Can I Touch It?

11.28.2011

Split End Binding?

Undoubtedly One of my most hated hair problems is split ends. Some of my strands even have triple and quadruple splits. It saddens me that, up until now, I believed that the only way to rid my head of these legged creatures is to cut them off. Cutting is liberating in its own way --but now I am trying to grow my hair to APL, so I am not very fond of cutting my hair so frequently. Options please... While in Target, I was browsing the Nexxus line (one that I've never tried, mainly because of ingredients and price) the product that jumped off the shelf was the Nexxus ProMend Split End Binding Overnight Treatment Creme (17.49) and the Nexxus ProMend Split End Binding Targeted Leave-In Treatment Creme (11.79)

What's in It?
Water, Phenyltrimethicone, Dimethicone, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polyquaternium 37, Polyquaternium 28, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Aspartic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Fragrance (Parfum), PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Glyceryl Stearate, PVM/MA Copolymer, Dimethiconol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Hexylcinnamal, Butylphenyl Methlyproprional, Limonene, Coumarin, Linalool, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Keratin Amino Acid, Jasminum Sambac (Jasmine) Flower Extract
If you are like me then you don't like to buy products with ingredient names that you need an M.S. in Chemistry to pronounce. Like what on earth is PVM/MA? Ethyl and Butyl Esters of PVM/MA Copolymer dry to form a thin coating on the skin, hair, or nails. They also help hair hold its style by inhibiting the hair’s ability to absorb moisture. Inhibiting my ability to hold moisture? Is dryness not one of the major causes for split ends? Another thing I do not like is that this product contains alcohol. I know all about the adverse effects of alcohol. Alcohol dries my hair up --a lot like a raisin. Once, I mistakenly sprayed my hair with my Bath and Body Works Vanilla Sugar body spray instead of my Carol's Daughter leave in black vanilla conditioner --worst hair day EVER. So, yes I know all about dryness.

Could it be true? Is there a magical product that will heal all of my ragged ends? Or should I just spend that money on a new pair of scissors and get to snipping? I have not yet found a good way to prevent split ends. No matter how well I take care of my hair (I go through bouts of fitness) split ends have always plagued me. Moisturizing, sealing and being gentle are all things that I am currently doing to prevent these ends. The ends are usually only visible when I straighten my hair. Nonetheless they are pesky and unsightly.

Have you tried this product? What did you like, what did you not? Does it work?

Ciao <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something,