Ooh Can I Touch It?

1.23.2012

We're not all curly


Many products that are aimed at "natural" women of color have the word curly in the title. I believe this label is misleading. Sure, some women do have curly hair but no product (other than a curling iron) can make your hair look curly if it is not naturally curly. Everyone has a curl pattern but not everyone has curly hair. For example, my hair is not curly. When I do twist-outs it may look curly, but I would never describe my hair as naturally curly. My hair is thick and kinky, type 4A/B if I must categorize it. Many people only want to go natural if their hair can look like Tracee Ellis Ross'.

The best way to predict what your natural hair pattern will be like is to look at your childhood pictures. Did you have ringlet curls, S pattern curl, or Z pattern, or bone straight hair? More than likely your transitioned tresses will resemble what you had before you chemically processed your hair. These curling products, to me, are more of a moisturizer that will allow your hair to shrivel up and stay that way.

 Why do we describe our hair as curly when it is not? Why do we market these products to women with kinky hair. It is the same as a relaxer advertising silky long hair --it might be true but it's so flawed. Results may vary. Variation and diversity is the spice of life. Curly is not the best way to describe naturral hair. Kinky is not either. I describe my hair as fluffy because the "curl pattern" is not as defined in some areas. I have a fluffy fro and I am proud. What these women are saying is that they only want to wear their hair natural if their hair can look like a mixed chick. Nothing wrong with that, when I was young I wished for a different hair texture and length --everyone experiences envy. But the problem is that folks are truly disappointed. Expectations are skewed. Let's take a real good look in the mirror and come closer to accepting our hair the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something,